Holy Trinity
TF13 6HR Parking in town car park, wheelchair access, open daylight hours.
A beautiful twelfth century church, with tower of eight bells, at the heart of a delightful market town. Filled with light from the clear windows, here is space to reflect, pray and light a candle.
Much Wenlock Parish Church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and is a place made sacred by lives and prayers for more than 1300 years. The first church on this site was Anglo-Saxon, built probably about AD 680.
The present nave was built in 1150 by the Cluniac monks of nearby Wenlock Priory, also well worth a visit.
The church has styles of architecture from almost every century. The picture on the left shows the two storey south porch with its ancient inner door. Nowadays the main entrance into the church is through the base of the west tower and then through the excellent Norman west doorway. The tower had a spire until 1930 when it was taken down.
The interior, looking east through the chancel arch.
The picture, left, shows the arched sedilia or seats, and a piscina, or basin for washing sacred vessels. 14th century.
There are two fonts, this one on the left at the back of the nave, Victorian, made of Caen stone with inset panels showing the symbols of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
In the Lady Chapel is the original Norman font, rediscovered in the last century.
The interior, looking towards the 13th century west wall, which was the outside wall until the tower was built 100 years later. On the left is a monument to William Penny Brooks, a local doctor who was instrumental in reviving the Olympic Games.
There is some fine stained glass, and much more to see, both in this interesting church and in the very pleasant town.
Read more about this lovely and active church on their website
and Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/Wenlockchurch/
Photos, AP